CSET: Science is being redeveloped to align with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- If you are taking this test on or before August 6, 2017: Review the information on this page for the CSET: Science test that will be administered through August 6, 2017. The last day to register is August 3, 2017. Scores for this version will have no delay.
- If you are taking this test August 7, 2017 or later: Review the information for the redeveloped CSET: Science test that will be administered starting August 7, 2017. Registration is now open. Please review the score delay for this test.
CSET: Science consists of 3 subtests:
- Subtest I (test code 118)
- Subtest II (test code 119)
- Subtest III (test codes 120-123)
- Biology/Life Science (test code 120)
- Chemistry (test code 121)
- Earth and Planetary Science (test code 122)
- Physics (test code 123)
Subtests I and II cover general science content while Subtest III covers the candidate's area of concentration. A credential in this subject matter area authorizes teaching general and integrated science and the area of concentration. Science: Biological Sciences is the credential area for Biology/Life Science, and Science: Geosciences is the credential area for Earth and Planetary Science.
You may register to take any one subtest or Subtests I, II, and III in a single test session.
- Subtest I: 58 multiple-choice questions and 2 constructed-response questions
- Subtest II: 58 multiple-choice questions and 2 constructed-response questions
- Subtest III: 50 multiple-choice questions and 3 constructed-response questions
All 3 subtests in a single session: 6 hours
Learn more about how the subtests are administered in a single session .
15 additional minutes is provided to complete a nondisclosure agreement and tutorial. Any time taken for breaks is considered part of your available testing time.
$297 for all subtests taken together
Review complete fee and payment policy information.
Review test results release dates .
Before you test, review the list of materials that are prohibited at the test center .
An on-screen scientific calculator is provided to examinees for the CSET Science subtests. Read more .
A periodic table is provided to examinees taking Subtest I (118), Subtest II (119), and Subtest III: Chemistry (121). A copy of the periodic table is available in the Sample Questions for each of these subtests.
A reference sheet containing constants, trigonometric functions, formulas, and notes is provided to examinees taking Subtest III: Physics (123). A copy of these reference materials is available in the Sample Questions for this subtest.
Subtests I, II, and III include one or more assignments that allow you to handwrite and scan responses. See scanning instructions and the hand-draw tutorial video for information on how to use a response sheet for handwritten responses. (The instructions will be available during testing.)
Tests may include questions that are evaluated for future administrations and do not affect a candidate's score.